Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 06/08/2003 15:58:29 EDT
Subject: RE: new book on telegraph

Message Detail:
Good points, all, Bill. But, again pardon my skepticism, but a key is your statement that "even in 1863 Bates wrote with amturity far greater than most modern day 20 year olds." Do we know that he wrote in 1863? You probably know the problems associated with Mary Chesnut's "diary," and the number of re-writes. E.P. Alexander's memoirs, as edited by Gary Gallagher--they were a hodge-podge of pieces, revisions, etc. in manuscript, edited as "Fighting for the Confederacy." So do we really have Bates' contemporary work? This is a bit like Biblical scholarship, establishing authorship, date and circumstances of composition, etc.
Another point is that with age and reflection often comes the ability to sort out and appreciate things in a different light. If he were aided by a contemporary diary, letters, etc., we should expect his matured and mind-jogged reflections to carry the added weight of those four decades or so of living and professional life (with Western Union). If (as I pointed out) Bates changed what the diary said, which do we believe? We shall see. Cheers.
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword