Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Mark Hageman on: 06/07/2003 19:57:31 EDT
Subject: RE: Signal Corps Reenactors ORGANIZED!

Message Detail:
Dave,

I wish there was a breeze here- very humid in my attic office.

In the past we would teach the code along with flag handling from day one. I have heard exactly what you said "Union practice is that the flagman simply swung by dictation (112-211-1121, etc.), whereas the CS required the flagman to know the code" and is what gave us the idea to train one step at a time. That way proficiency can be gained in each area step-by-step, rather than throwing everything at the new guy right away.

Personally I think it would make it more enjoyable to learn and teach in this way, a little more each time and drill drill drill in between. Every event would bring something new, keep up the interest and enthusiasm in the new recruit, give them time to really think and absorb what is happening, invoke questions, ideas and opportunity.

In this way, the Signalist in the field will have some experience under there belts, those who really want to "shot-em-up" can be weeded-out. Maybe then we wouldn't see the "Signal Unit Today, Sharp Shooters Tomorrow" Units, who cannot be relied upon to make communications work in critical situations.

Don't get me wrong, I love to talk to anyone interested in signals, and encourge others to give it a try, but its not much enjoyment tring to send communications and the only thing legible is "ERROR"- LOL.

Mark Hageman

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword