Father: William Southgate
Mother: Sarah Ford
Family 1: Elizabeth Ann Harper
- Sex: M
- Born: 1819 in Essex England
- Died: 12 MAY 1894 in Warkworth N.Z.
- Reference: 381
In youth John Southgate mutinied (as a sailor ) and served a year's hard labour ending 6th Sept 1844 in Auckland.
Consisting of 1 day Queen St., 4 days Fort St., 2 days Jetty.
(Information Joy Helena Woodcock Sept 1978, great-granddaughter of John.)
Settled 1848 with wife and son William a baby in arms, at the landing southside of West Coast Rd (just south of where the ruined cement works are now), which is just south of present town ship of Warkworth.
Ran a hotel there until 1862-3, when he transferred to Warkworth hotel on present site. All that remains to mark the original site is an Italian cypress planted in his garden some 130 years ago.
In 1863 established Southgate lime works making hydraulic lime by burning limestone in vertical kilns - a process used since Roman Times. This was used to make mortar for brick or stonework or making plaster, the works were abandoned last century. Charles Blomfield a notable artist included them in a painting about 1900. The lime was not good quality, but was used for mortar in Auckland. Some was eventually used by Nathaniel Wilson 'Wilsons Cement in his cement works. The old kilns were cut in a solid limestone face and remained till 1946 when the property was purchased by Rodney Lime Co producing agricultural lime till the early 1970s.
, b. 1830 in St Austell Laungston Cornwall
- Married: 27 DEC 1847 in St Pauls Auckland
Family 2: Jane Ann Williams
- William James Southgate, b. 12 AUG 1848
- Henry Southgate, b. 1 DEC 1849
- George Southgate, b. 1851
- Sarah Southgate, b. 24 FEB 1853 in Warkworth
- Phoebe Southgate, b. 1855
- Walter Southgate, b. 10 NOV 1856 in Warkworth
- Emma Mary Southgate, b. 23 MAY 1858
- George Edwin Southgate, b. 20 MAY 1860
- Fanny Elizabeth Southgate, b. 7 JUL 1862
- Annie Southgate, b. 19 MAR 1864
- Flora Southgate, b. 31 OCT 1866
- Minnie Catherine Southgate, b. 28 OCT 1868
- Elanor Clementina Southgate, b. 4 AUG 1870
- Minnie Elizabeth Southgate, b. 24 SEP 1873
- Married: 1885 in Auckland
Please send corrections, additions or comments to David R. Streiff
Created by IGMGet (modified by Randy Winch) Version 2.7
Copyright 1996 © Tim Doyle